register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3/6 MZR Gen1 Forums (2006-2009)
> MazdaSpeed 3/6 - ECU Computer Tuning

MazdaSpeed 3/6 - ECU Computer Tuning Have an ECU tuning issue? Do you want to discuss Mazdaspeed 3/6 tuning solutions? Up to date info on the latest! Piasini Reflash, Cobb Access Port, Xede, Procede, Standback, Superchips & others supported here!

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 07-07-2010, 01:52 PM   #1

Jessed87 is a splendid one to beholdJessed87 is a splendid one to beholdJessed87 is a splendid one to beholdJessed87 is a splendid one to beholdJessed87 is a splendid one to beholdJessed87 is a splendid one to beholdJessed87 is a splendid one to behold
Groans: 0
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     
Default MAP sensor question.

Ok I am having trouble finding info about the AEM 3.5 BAR map sensor. I am interested in running maybe 22 or 23 PSI when I install my meth kit for my BT system. Now I've heard a few people now are running pressures well into the mid 20's. I am wondering If I need a bigger MAP sensor even though I am controlling boost through a MBC? I'm not exactly clear on what the bigger sensor is needed for. I think the stock sensor only recognizes up to 21 PSI or so and after that it can't make fuel adjustments? am I close?
Jessed87 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 07-07-2010, 01:56 PM   #2

Brian MP5T is the leader of the worldBrian MP5T is the leader of the worldBrian MP5T is the leader of the worldBrian MP5T is the leader of the worldBrian MP5T is the leader of the worldBrian MP5T is the leader of the worldBrian MP5T is the leader of the worldBrian MP5T is the leader of the worldBrian MP5T is the leader of the worldBrian MP5T is the leader of the worldBrian MP5T is the leader of the world
Groans: 15
Groaned at 10 Times in 10 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Well, It stands to reason that

1. If the sensor is only rated to a PSI, that going beyond that can damage it.
2. If the sensor cant go above where you are boosting to then the ECU will not be able to decide how much fuel to add because it will not see that you are at lets say 25 PSI if it can only be rated for 20..

Either way, if a new MAP is added, there will have to be some way to calibrate it, IE ECU Flash, Pigyback or a Standalone ECU.
 Old 07-07-2010, 02:03 PM   #3

SSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the world
Thanked 4,458 Times in 1,606 Posts
Groans: 48
Groaned at 16 Times in 11 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Jessed87 View Post
Ok I am having trouble finding info about the AEM 3.5 BAR map sensor. I am interested in running maybe 22 or 23 PSI when I install my meth kit for my BT system. Now I've heard a few people now are running pressures well into the mid 20's. I am wondering If I need a bigger MAP sensor even though I am controlling boost through a MBC? I'm not exactly clear on what the bigger sensor is needed for. I think the stock sensor only recognizes up to 21 PSI or so and after that it can't make fuel adjustments? am I close?

These cars don't seem to pay much attention to the MAP other than as a failsafe to trigger boost cut. If you have an aftermarket guage that is accurate and can read higher than the boost your targeting with the MBC you should be fine.

The only reason to add the AEM map is if you have the StandBack and need it to be able to see the higher boost. Currently there is no way to calibrate the ECM to directly use an aftermarket MAP, even the SB converts the AEM MAP's output to the corresponding OEM sensor voltage before passing it to the ECM..

I have the AEM map and it works fine, but I only have it because I use the SB to add fuel based on my boost-and I exceed the OEM sensors limit of 22psi. It is also needed for the SB's boost controller to be able to exceed the OEM sensor limit.
Fully Built : Arias Pistons: Pauter Rods : ARP bolts: Ported Head: Cosworth BSD : Spec 3+ Clutch : Fidanza Flywheel : AWR Engine mounts 90duro : Custom TIP/Intake : Custom Blow Through 3.5" MAF : Custom FMIC : HKS SSQV VTA : Ported IM : Custom DP : Custom Exhaust : CPBoost Top Mount EM : Garrett GT3582R : PTP Turbo Blanket: Tial V44 EWG : Perrin EBCS : MrLilGuy/PTP HPFP : Ported fuel line : Ported Fuel Rail : Custom Ported Fuel Injectors : Kenny Bell Boost-a-Pump : HKS Twin Power DLI II : HKS M-Series Plugs : Cobb AP : AEM 3.5bar MAP :Koni Sport shocks : RPM Kspec Springs : TWM STS : TT Front Diff Mount : CPE Upper Diff Mount : Whiteline RSB : AWR Endlinks
SSinstaller is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SSinstaller For This Useful Post:
djuosnteisn (07-09-2010), Jessed87 (07-07-2010)
 Old 07-07-2010, 02:18 PM   #4

Fagwagon is the leader of the worldFagwagon is the leader of the worldFagwagon is the leader of the worldFagwagon is the leader of the worldFagwagon is the leader of the worldFagwagon is the leader of the worldFagwagon is the leader of the worldFagwagon is the leader of the worldFagwagon is the leader of the worldFagwagon is the leader of the worldFagwagon is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,216 Times in 542 Posts
Groans: 75
Groaned at 57 Times in 37 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

i was running 22.5 psi the other day on accident, im not sure if i was just maxing out the MAP or if i was actually at that exact point but thats what i read up to on my log.
Fagwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fagwagon For This Useful Post:
djuosnteisn (07-09-2010)
 Old 07-07-2010, 02:25 PM   #5

SSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the worldSSinstaller is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Fagwagon View Post
i was running 22.5 psi the other day on accident, im not sure if i was just maxing out the MAP or if i was actually at that exact point but thats what i read up to on my log.
You maxed out the MAP....

When I was breaking in my motor I was amazed that all my logs showed absolutely no spike and always hit the same number.. ~22psi... I though I had finally had some good luck with this thing.

I installed the AEM MAP and immediately saw that I was actually spiking over 25 psi and holding 23~24psi to redline....
Fully Built : Arias Pistons: Pauter Rods : ARP bolts: Ported Head: Cosworth BSD : Spec 3+ Clutch : Fidanza Flywheel : AWR Engine mounts 90duro : Custom TIP/Intake : Custom Blow Through 3.5" MAF : Custom FMIC : HKS SSQV VTA : Ported IM : Custom DP : Custom Exhaust : CPBoost Top Mount EM : Garrett GT3582R : PTP Turbo Blanket: Tial V44 EWG : Perrin EBCS : MrLilGuy/PTP HPFP : Ported fuel line : Ported Fuel Rail : Custom Ported Fuel Injectors : Kenny Bell Boost-a-Pump : HKS Twin Power DLI II : HKS M-Series Plugs : Cobb AP : AEM 3.5bar MAP :Koni Sport shocks : RPM Kspec Springs : TWM STS : TT Front Diff Mount : CPE Upper Diff Mount : Whiteline RSB : AWR Endlinks
 Old 07-07-2010, 02:30 PM   #6

darth vader is the leader of the worlddarth vader is the leader of the worlddarth vader is the leader of the worlddarth vader is the leader of the worlddarth vader is the leader of the worlddarth vader is the leader of the worlddarth vader is the leader of the worlddarth vader is the leader of the worlddarth vader is the leader of the worlddarth vader is the leader of the worlddarth vader is the leader of the world
Groans: 2
Groaned at 9 Times in 9 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Shit a 2 bar sensor should get you there, that's 30 psi...
darth vader is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 07-07-2010, 02:35 PM   #7

Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by darth vader View Post
Shit a 2 bar sensor should get you there, that's 30 psi...
The oem sensor is a 2.5 bar... You have to remember that atmospheric pressure is 1 bar so you only have 1.5 bar left for boost, that gets us to the OEM sensor's ~22psi resolution.
 Old 07-07-2010, 02:53 PM   #8

Jessed87 is a splendid one to beholdJessed87 is a splendid one to beholdJessed87 is a splendid one to beholdJessed87 is a splendid one to beholdJessed87 is a splendid one to beholdJessed87 is a splendid one to beholdJessed87 is a splendid one to behold
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

ok thank you that's all very informative. So basically I have a mechanical autometer boost gauge that reads directly off of the boost line so that will read my boost accurately. If the MAP sensor only goes up to 22 PSI then if I tune for 22 psi I should really be fine as long as I make my tuner aware of this cars limitations. I mean I will be running meth so If I do very slightly go over the limit of the MAP sensor and the ECU doesn't add fuel to compensate, the cooling effect of the meth should get rid of any small amounts of KR. If anyone has anything to add please feel free.
 Old 07-07-2010, 03:07 PM   #9

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by SSinstaller View Post
These cars don't seem to pay much attention to the MAP other than as a failsafe to trigger boost cut. If you have an aftermarket guage that is accurate and can read higher than the boost your targeting with the MBC you should be fine.

The only reason to add the AEM map is if you have the StandBack and need it to be able to see the higher boost. Currently there is no way to calibrate the ECM to directly use an aftermarket MAP, even the SB converts the AEM MAP's output to the corresponding OEM sensor voltage before passing it to the ECM..

I have the AEM map and it works fine, but I only have it because I use the SB to add fuel based on my boost-and I exceed the OEM sensors limit of 22psi. It is also needed for the SB's boost controller to be able to exceed the OEM sensor limit.
hmm wait I'm a little confused. To make this easier to answer, I have an MBC and will be tuning with the accessport for now. The way I understand it no matter which boost control method you are using (manual or electric) The ECU still adds fuel based on boost correct? So if I want to tune beyond the stock map sensor levels The ECU will still not recognize the extra boost and will not add any more fuel? I'm kinda confused how that other feller ran 25 PSI by mistake on the stock MAP and didn't like....explode! Is there a way to tune with an MBC so that the conputer will still fuel correctly even though the MAP is maxed? Thank you!
 Old 07-07-2010, 03:40 PM   #10

Not Ranked  0 score     

hmm wait I'm a little confused. To make this easier to answer, I have an MBC and will be tuning with the accessport for now. The way I understand it no matter which boost control method you are using (manual or electric) The ECU still adds fuel based on boost correct? So if I want to tune beyond the stock map sensor levels The ECU will still not recognize the extra boost and will not add any more fuel? I'm kinda confused how that other feller ran 25 PSI by mistake on the stock MAP and didn't like....explode! Is there a way to tune with an MBC so that the conputer will still fuel correctly even though the MAP is maxed? Thank you!
The ecm uses the MAF to determine how much fuel to add... It does not use the MAP... As long as to don't peg the MAF you can run whatever boost you want and the ECM will add fuel to match the airflow...

I ran 25psi on my GT35 and didn't explode because I have a built motor and my AFR's were in the 10's...
 Old 07-07-2010, 03:54 PM   #11

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

That is what I wanted to know. I also have a nice built bottom end and I plan to put it to use. Now I just have to pray to the injector seal god. Thank you very much for the helpful insight.
 Old 07-07-2010, 03:54 PM   #12

JumpingJackson is the leader of the worldJumpingJackson is the leader of the worldJumpingJackson is the leader of the worldJumpingJackson is the leader of the worldJumpingJackson is the leader of the worldJumpingJackson is the leader of the worldJumpingJackson is the leader of the worldJumpingJackson is the leader of the worldJumpingJackson is the leader of the worldJumpingJackson is the leader of the worldJumpingJackson is the leader of the world
Groans: 3
Groaned at 23 Times in 14 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

You can use a 3 bar map sensor with the accessport / ATR. The only thing that doesnt work is if your datalog / OBD2 device wont see anything past 255 kPa. This will be fixed soon. The standback can also use them if im not mistaken.
JumpingJackson is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 07-07-2010, 03:56 PM   #13

Not Ranked  0 score     

That is what I wanted to know. I also have a nice built bottom end and I plan to put it to use. Now I just have to pray to the injector seal god.
He doesn't hear...lol
The Following User Says Thank You to SSinstaller For This Useful Post:
xcoldricex (07-07-2010)
 Old 07-07-2010, 05:17 PM   #14

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

That is what I'm afraid of. Just out of curiosity when the injector seals do pack their bags, is it still possible to drive the vehicle light footed back home? or does it knock a fair amount under normal throttle?
 Old 07-07-2010, 05:39 PM   #15

darth vader is the leader of the worlddarth vader is the leader of the worlddarth vader is the leader of the worlddarth vader is the leader of the worlddarth vader is the leader of the worlddarth vader is the leader of the worlddarth vader is the leader of the worlddarth vader is the leader of the worlddarth vader is the leader of the worlddarth vader is the leader of the worlddarth vader is the leader of the world
Groans: 2
Groaned at 9 Times in 9 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by SSinstaller View Post
The oem sensor is a 2.5 bar... You have to remember that atmospheric pressure is 1 bar so you only have 1.5 bar left for boost, that gets us to the OEM sensor's ~22psi resolution.
Right, fuck, I'm retarded today, I nearly fell off the roof cleaning the moss off it this morning. Gotta know when to call it a day, sometimes that's not even lunchtime
darth vader is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 07-07-2010, 07:43 PM   #16

spnkr21 is the leader of the worldspnkr21 is the leader of the worldspnkr21 is the leader of the worldspnkr21 is the leader of the worldspnkr21 is the leader of the worldspnkr21 is the leader of the worldspnkr21 is the leader of the worldspnkr21 is the leader of the worldspnkr21 is the leader of the worldspnkr21 is the leader of the worldspnkr21 is the leader of the world
Thanked 3,296 Times in 1,369 Posts
Groans: 105
Groaned at 79 Times in 66 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

That is what I'm afraid of. Just out of curiosity when the injector seals do pack their bags, is it still possible to drive the vehicle light footed back home? or does it knock a fair amount under normal throttle?
Yeah you can still drive. It will knock when Exhaust goes out the inj. ports which is only at wot.
djuosnteisn (07-09-2010)
 Old 07-08-2010, 03:33 PM   #17

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

haha good to know thank you!
 Old 07-08-2010, 06:41 PM   #18

Jarods7920 is the leader of the worldJarods7920 is the leader of the worldJarods7920 is the leader of the worldJarods7920 is the leader of the worldJarods7920 is the leader of the worldJarods7920 is the leader of the worldJarods7920 is the leader of the worldJarods7920 is the leader of the worldJarods7920 is the leader of the worldJarods7920 is the leader of the worldJarods7920 is the leader of the world
Groans: 8
Groaned at 26 Times in 8 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by JumpingJackson View Post
You can use a 3 bar map sensor with the accessport / ATR. The only thing that doesnt work is if your datalog / OBD2 device wont see anything past 255 kPa. This will be fixed soon. The standback can also use them if im not mistaken.

what do you mean this will be fixed soon?
Jarods7920 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 07-08-2010, 07:18 PM   #19

Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by JumpingJackson View Post
The SB shows me the correct boost, but any device that polls via the canbus will give an incorrect boost reading...

OBD2 devices polling via the canbus see the sensor voltages and then convert that to an actual value.. ~5V is still the upper limit, and nothing Cobb can do will make an aftermarket logger understand that the voltage output of the new sensor does not correlate to the OEM value..