register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3/6 MZR Gen1 Forums (2006-2009)
> MazdaSpeed 3/6 - ECU Computer Tuning

MazdaSpeed 3/6 - ECU Computer Tuning Have an ECU tuning issue? Do you want to discuss Mazdaspeed 3/6 tuning solutions? Up to date info on the latest! Piasini Reflash, Cobb Access Port, Xede, Procede, Standback, Superchips & others supported here!

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!
Like Tree3Likes

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 03-18-2011, 09:43 AM   #681

pebenito is the leader of the worldpebenito is the leader of the worldpebenito is the leader of the worldpebenito is the leader of the worldpebenito is the leader of the worldpebenito is the leader of the worldpebenito is the leader of the worldpebenito is the leader of the worldpebenito is the leader of the worldpebenito is the leader of the worldpebenito is the leader of the world
Groans: 12
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by RichieRichness View Post
FUCK! CP-E needs to step up their game aka lower flash and SB pricing and add more features or go home!
I'd have to agree. Based on what I see on MSF, a lot of SB people are switching over to AP since it has a lot more capabilities, especially if they haven't gotten the flashes, since a used AP is about the same price as the FCF. Cp-e needs to step up, or no one is going to buy their tuning product, on this platform at least. The low demand (and correspondingly low resale prices) on the recent SB for-sale threads seem to confirm this observation.

Isn't the SB hardware the same on all the supported platforms, just a different harness/PNP and software? If so, losing one platform may not be sufficient motivation to do something (though the MS3s seem to be their biggest platforms, based on the number of products).
 Old 03-18-2011, 09:51 AM   #682

RichieRichness is the leader of the worldRichieRichness is the leader of the worldRichieRichness is the leader of the worldRichieRichness is the leader of the worldRichieRichness is the leader of the worldRichieRichness is the leader of the worldRichieRichness is the leader of the worldRichieRichness is the leader of the worldRichieRichness is the leader of the worldRichieRichness is the leader of the worldRichieRichness is the leader of the world
Thanked 4,320 Times in 1,452 Posts
Groans: 35
Groaned at 20 Times in 15 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I want to say there are some minor differences with the SB for different years when it comes to the NA 3. However, my SB has been used on a 2007 Mazda 3 and 2007 MS6.
CP-e Atmosphere GTX3076r w1.06 Tial | JMF IM | NATOR D.C. FMIC | JBR Wide Path | Autotech Internals | HKS SSQV2 | Ebay DP | Denso ITV24 | CP-e RDM | AutoExe Strut Tower Bar | Whiteline RSB | Sonic Tuning Coils | DSS Driver Side Axle | JMF OCC

BT - 395 awhp 345 awtq @ Moore Automotive 4/12/2014 on 93 octane
Stock Turbo - 331 awhp 397 awtq @ Moore Automotive 11/10/2012 on ~e48
12.263 @ 111.75 mph 1.669 60' 11/17/2012

RichieRichness is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 03-24-2011, 08:46 AM   #683
Approved MSF Vendor

www.cp-e.com is the leader of the worldwww.cp-e.com is the leader of the worldwww.cp-e.com is the leader of the worldwww.cp-e.com is the leader of the worldwww.cp-e.com is the leader of the worldwww.cp-e.com is the leader of the worldwww.cp-e.com is the leader of the worldwww.cp-e.com is the leader of the worldwww.cp-e.com is the leader of the worldwww.cp-e.com is the leader of the worldwww.cp-e.com is the leader of the world
Thanked 4,675 Times in 997 Posts
Groans: 10
Groaned at 115 Times in 51 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

There are still alot of things the AP needs to get right for these cars - day to day we troubleshoot issues and keep tracing them back to people simply running the AP. NOT because we have the SB its just the nature of the tuning device (the AP that is).

There are fuel pressure issues, fueling consistency and a few others that are common to us.

The SB is solid, proven and it simply works - sometimes an adjustment of a tune is necessary for unique applications. But we do have full control of all aspects and with the flashes its a complete, stable solution.

The AP is great as its simple - but I feel its potential is overshadowed by it not being quite there yet.
www.cp-e.com is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to www.cp-e.com For This Useful Post:
7mileshome (04-16-2011), RichieRichness (03-24-2011), the_caruch (03-24-2011)
 Old 03-24-2011, 10:29 AM   #684

MattJackson86 is the leader of the worldMattJackson86 is the leader of the worldMattJackson86 is the leader of the worldMattJackson86 is the leader of the worldMattJackson86 is the leader of the worldMattJackson86 is the leader of the worldMattJackson86 is the leader of the worldMattJackson86 is the leader of the worldMattJackson86 is the leader of the worldMattJackson86 is the leader of the worldMattJackson86 is the leader of the world
Groans: 3
Groaned at 15 Times in 10 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I agree with you to some extent. The SB is simple and when it works it produces great results. The AP has some cool features outside of tuning that the SB cant accomplish, but that's what you get when you flash the ECU.

If just comparing the ability for a solid tune that makes power, I think for the most part they are on par with each other. Maybe the SB is slightly better, maybe not. I don't know for sure.

The problem with the SB (and the reason a lot are switching away from it) is that sometimes the SB does not just work as intended. It all goes back to not being able to consistently log data, and thus not being able to accurately create a tune. Without logging, it doesn't matter how well the SB can tune a car. This issue has been known for way too long and I have yet to hear of a solid solution. Its not just one or two people either with this issue. It is many of us who have spent a lot of money on CP-E's tuning solutions and are finding we are not getting what we paid for. That coupled with the fact that SB development seems to be halted where as AP development is ongoing. This makes the AP a better choice for people looking for a tuning solution today. Not to mention the AP costs significantly less than the CP-E tuning package. The flashes alone are $400, only $50 less than a used AP costs and the flashes have a $0 resale.

Am I happy with the SB and what it can accomplish? Yes, when it works...
GTX3071 - SURE 3.25" Full3 Aeros - CP-E FMIC - CP-E Catted Downpipe - CNT Catback Exhaust - HKS SSQV BPV - James Barone 88 Trilogy - KMD CDFP Internals - CP-E Injector Seals - Cobb EBCS - ITV22 at .025 - 3 Bar MAP

Bitwise Motorsports http://www.bitwise-motorsports.com -
Mazdaspeed 3 BAR MAP Harness, Torque Plugins for Android, and 3-Port EBCS (coming soon!)
MattJackson86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MattJackson86 For This Useful Post:
charlesfist (03-24-2011), pebenito (03-24-2011), RichieRichness (03-24-2011)
 Old 03-24-2011, 12:57 PM   #685

RichieRichness is the leader of the worldRichieRichness is the leader of the worldRichieRichness is the leader of the worldRichieRichness is the leader of the worldRichieRichness is the leader of the worldRichieRichness is the leader of the worldRichieRichness is the leader of the worldRichieRichness is the leader of the worldRichieRichness is the leader of the worldRichieRichness is the leader of the worldRichieRichness is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

I want to add to what Matt said about the significant difference in cost. I have the SB but no flashes. I want the flashes but canít justify spending the extra $400+ when I could buy an AP. There is a significant price difference here between these two solutions...you'd expect the one that costs more to provide more.
I'm curious to see CP-E's sales history for the SB and flashes. I'm not trying to tell CP-E how to market a product or run their business but there are some warning signs that CP-Eís reputation is slipping. If you won't make money selling this product for less then find a cheaper way of making this product. The flashes are intellectual property (of Lou Iím guessing) so there is no manufacturing cost involved....my assumption = itís paid for itself.

On a side note:
If we see stagnation and poor customer service then It doesnít matter who was first to come up with an idea/product or its quality. We want innovation, consistency and great support.
CP-e Atmosphere GTX3076r w1.06 Tial | JMF IM | NATOR D.C. FMIC | JBR Wide Path | Autotech Internals | HKS SSQV2 | Ebay DP | Denso ITV24 | CP-e RDM | AutoExe Strut Tower Bar | Whiteline RSB | Sonic Tuning Coils | DSS Driver Side Axle | JMF OCC

Old 03-24-2011, 01:58 PM   #686

spnkr21 is the leader of the worldspnkr21 is the leader of the worldspnkr21 is the leader of the worldspnkr21 is the leader of the worldspnkr21 is the leader of the worldspnkr21 is the leader of the worldspnkr21 is the leader of the worldspnkr21 is the leader of the worldspnkr21 is the leader of the worldspnkr21 is the leader of the worldspnkr21 is the leader of the world
Thanked 3,296 Times in 1,369 Posts
Groans: 105
Groaned at 79 Times in 66 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

I need higher idle and higher redline.
How is this NOT possible with flashes?
 Old 03-24-2011, 02:03 PM   #687
Approved MSF Vendor

www.cp-e.com is the leader of the worldwww.cp-e.com is the leader of the worldwww.cp-e.com is the leader of the worldwww.cp-e.com is the leader of the worldwww.cp-e.com is the leader of the worldwww.cp-e.com is the leader of the worldwww.cp-e.com is the leader of the worldwww.cp-e.com is the leader of the worldwww.cp-e.com is the leader of the worldwww.cp-e.com is the leader of the worldwww.cp-e.com is the leader of the world
Thanked 4,675 Times in 997 Posts
Groans: 10
Groaned at 115 Times in 51 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by spnkr21 View Post
I need higher idle and higher redline.
How is this NOT possible with flashes?
it is if the values are found. We are working out some stuff - seeing if we can find some more features.
www.cp-e.com is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to www.cp-e.com For This Useful Post:
RichieRichness (03-25-2011)
 Old 03-24-2011, 02:21 PM   #688

spnkr21 is the leader of the worldspnkr21 is the leader of the worldspnkr21 is the leader of the worldspnkr21 is the leader of the worldspnkr21 is the leader of the worldspnkr21 is the leader of the worldspnkr21 is the leader of the worldspnkr21 is the leader of the worldspnkr21 is the leader of the worldspnkr21 is the leader of the worldspnkr21 is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

Well I won't trade up. I'm too invested at this point. It has everything I need except idle+redline.
 Old 04-01-2011, 02:09 AM   #689

Joellc2434 is a splendid one to beholdJoellc2434 is a splendid one to beholdJoellc2434 is a splendid one to beholdJoellc2434 is a splendid one to beholdJoellc2434 is a splendid one to beholdJoellc2434 is a splendid one to beholdJoellc2434 is a splendid one to behold
Groans: 0
Groaned at 5 Times in 5 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

So Ive been trying to read through this thread as I have just bought and installed my standback. It seems as though this thread has lost its original focus but I though that I would ask any way. In earlier posts it seemed that everyone was using knock retard as one of the parameters that they were monitoring in able to tune their timing. But all those that were using knock retard were using a dash hawk. I do not own a dash hawk and dont mind data logging with my laptop and Standback software. But how do I log KR with this software? Can I use other parameters to tell me how to adjust my timing? I know that I am really late to the game here but any help would e appreciated
Joellc2434 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 04-01-2011, 03:18 AM   #690

Not Ranked  0 score     

Need a dashhawk
 Old 04-01-2011, 06:33 AM   #691

jhershorin is the leader of the worldjhershorin is the leader of the worldjhershorin is the leader of the worldjhershorin is the leader of the worldjhershorin is the leader of the worldjhershorin is the leader of the worldjhershorin is the leader of the worldjhershorin is the leader of the worldjhershorin is the leader of the worldjhershorin is the leader of the worldjhershorin is the leader of the world
Thanked 1,666 Times in 611 Posts
Groans: 31
Groaned at 86 Times in 65 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Joellc2434 View Post
So Ive been trying to read through this thread as I have just bought and installed my standback. It seems as though this thread has lost its original focus but I though that I would ask any way. In earlier posts it seemed that everyone was using knock retard as one of the parameters that they were monitoring in able to tune their timing. But all those that were using knock retard were using a dash hawk. I do not own a dash hawk and dont mind data logging with my laptop and Standback software. But how do I log KR with this software? Can I use other parameters to tell me how to adjust my timing? I know that I am really late to the game here but any help would e appreciated
I have probably tuned more standbacks than most - just because of my past association with c-pe - you really SHOULD get a standback but if you have a solid tuning knowledge you can observe timing dropouts in the timing curve of the bbx / standback logs. I would strongly recommend finding a dashhawk though.
Joellc2434 (04-01-2011)
 Old 04-02-2011, 07:30 PM   #692

MattJackson86 is the leader of the worldMattJackson86 is the leader of the worldMattJackson86 is the leader of the worldMattJackson86 is the leader of the worldMattJackson86 is the leader of the worldMattJackson86 is the leader of the worldMattJackson86 is the leader of the worldMattJackson86 is the leader of the worldMattJackson86 is the leader of the worldMattJackson86 is the leader of the worldMattJackson86 is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

Went to the dyno today to get my tune in line. Attached is the final DH log, SB log, SB Tune, and the dyno graph. Car feel much smoother and stronger. Started the day making 284 and ended around 304. Knock is very minimal and not often. Much better than before. Not pulling anywhere near as much timing, so that should look much better. AFR could be smoother but I was seeing some of the limitations of the SB (i.e. how the ECU switches its logic sometimes). Sometimes the AFR would just be much lower (11.2 ish) and then go back to normal at 11.8ish. Other times there were peaks etc into the 12's. The tune I settled on seemed to be the best balance of all. I do wonder if anything is missing or can be done better, but overall this tune is the best i have had in a long while. FYI my tune needs to be unzipped and is in MST format.
Attached Images
File Type: png 20110402_Final.PNG (125.0 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg Final.jpg (134.0 KB, 17 views)
Attached Files
File Type: csv 20110402_Final.csv (7.7 KB, 8 views)
File Type: zip Tune.zip (11.9 KB, 13 views)
GTX3071 - SURE 3.25" Full3 Aeros - CP-E FMIC - CP-E Catted Downpipe - CNT Catback Exhaust - HKS SSQV BPV - James Barone 88 Trilogy - KMD CDFP Internals - CP-E Injector Seals - Cobb EBCS - ITV22 at .025 - 3 Bar MAP

Mazdaspeed 3 BAR MAP Harness, Torque Plugins for Android, and 3-Port EBCS (coming soon!)

Last edited by MattJackson86; 04-02-2011 at 07:53 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MattJackson86 For This Useful Post:
RichieRichness (04-04-2011), the_caruch (04-02-2011)
 Old 04-02-2011, 10:12 PM   #693

Not Ranked  0 score     

Decided that I need to look into my PID setting again. Leave the rest of the tune as is but just get them back under control. I like how my boost is currently (little/no spike) but it oscillates too much. While minor, this is causing some loss in power.

Richie, you still on 30, .3, 150? When I tried those I spiked badly. Maybe I will try again and just start upping kd.

I attached that same dyno but uncorrected and no smoothing. Check out the oscillations around 4500 and from 5500 onwards. That matches the boost in the csv.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Uncorrected.jpg (128.7 KB, 11 views)

The Following User Says Thank You to MattJackson86 For This Useful Post:
RichieRichness (04-04-2011)
 Old 04-03-2011, 07:48 AM   #694

the_caruch is the leader of the worldthe_caruch is the leader of the worldthe_caruch is the leader of the worldthe_caruch is the leader of the worldthe_caruch is the leader of the worldthe_caruch is the leader of the worldthe_caruch is the leader of the worldthe_caruch is the leader of the worldthe_caruch is the leader of the worldthe_caruch is the leader of the worldthe_caruch is the leader of the world
Groans: 5
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Do you have a graph of your boost showing the oscillation and the PID settings
 Old 04-03-2011, 08:45 AM   #695

Not Ranked  0 score     

Attached an Excel file of the chart and data.

What else could cause the oscillations in that 2nd dyno chart?
Attached Files
File Type: xls Boost.xls (28.5 KB, 7 views)

Old 04-03-2011, 10:57 PM   #696

the_caruch is the leader of the worldthe_caruch is the leader of the worldthe_caruch is the leader of the worldthe_caruch is the leader of the worldthe_caruch is the leader of the worldthe_caruch is the leader of the worldthe_caruch is the leader of the worldthe_caruch is the leader of the worldthe_caruch is the leader of the worldthe_caruch is the leader of the worldthe_caruch is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

an unstable PID loop causes oscillation. also too much Kd can cause it.

the boost is coming on way too fast (at least compared to your target). which means you need way less kP.

what are your current PID values that goes with that graph?
MattJackson86 (04-03-2011)
 Old 04-03-2011, 11:35 PM   #697

Not Ranked  0 score     

29, .075, 250

Old 04-04-2011, 09:46 AM   #698

Not Ranked  0 score     

So you are spooling too fast compared to your target, not coming close to the target, and oscillating.

I think you are targeting boost that is too low for the turbo to even hit at the lower RPM range. That's why you'll see the WGDC is practically 0 but still pushing 14-16psi, it physically can't spool any slower if the WG is fully open. So it's artificially making the boost curve look bad for the initial onset of boost. Try targeting 15 or 16 psi at around 3200rpm and continue up to your 18.5 target from there. I hope that makes sense

Try this for a test:

Kp 30 Ki 0 Kd 0

What i do for PID tuning is zero Ki and Kd out and adjust Kp until the initial slope of boost hits my target boost without any major overshoot. Then i will go and adjust Ki to bring up the entire curve. You may have to lower Kp again after raising Ki.

A little tip that i found out after messing with PID values for hours recently. If you find pid values that give you a pretty flat boost curve throughout the rpm range but is a little under/over target, just raise/lower the PSI commanded in the SB.

example:
Recently i got PID values that ran a pretty flat boost curve. but was only going about 17 psi. I was trying for 18 in the SB. So, i typed 19psi (where appropriate) in the SB and my actual boost curve went up 1psi and reached my target of 18psi.

My pid values that worked for me were: Kp 30 Ki .3 Kd 0
MattJackson86 (04-04-2011), RichieRichness (04-04-2011)
 Old 04-04-2011, 10:30 AM   #699

Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by the_caruch View Post
So you are spooling too fast compared to your target, not coming close to the target, and oscillating.

I think you are targeting boost that is too low for the turbo to even hit at the lower RPM range. That's why you'll see the WGDC is practically 0 but still pushing 14-16psi, it physically can't spool any slower if the WG is fully open. So it's artificially making the boost curve look bad for the initial onset of boost. Try targeting 15 or 16 psi at around 3200rpm and continue up to your 18.5 target from there. I hope that makes sense
Make sense. I kinda suspected that was my issue as my "low boost" map is set to 14 psi but I still hold 15-16psi. I am honestly not worried too much about the initial overshoot too much. My main concerns are not reaching/holding target and spiking too high. I have found that going WOT at 3000 may have perfect boost control, but WOT at 4500 will spike to 20+ psi. I would like to not spike over 21-22 psi.

Maybe changing my targets to match what the turbo is doing though will prevent the PID values from changing unnecessarily.

Try this for a test:

Kp 30 Ki 0 Kd 0

What i do for PID tuning is zero Ki and Kd out and adjust Kp until the initial slope of boost hits my target boost without any major overshoot. Then i will go and adjust Ki to bring up the entire curve. You may have to lower Kp again after raising Ki.
Ok Ill try that and not touch Kd.

A little tip that i found out after messing with PID values for hours recently. If you find pid values that give you a pretty flat boost curve throughout the rpm range but is a little under/over target, just raise/lower the PSI commanded in the SB.

example:
Recently i got PID values that ran a pretty flat boost curve. but was only going about 17 psi. I was trying for 18 in the SB. So, i typed 19psi (where appropriate) in the SB and my actual boost curve went up 1psi and reached my target of 18psi.

That makes sense, but doesn't give me warm and fuzzies. The idea behind PID is that it should meet your targets, not have to adjust targets to bump up the actual

My pid values that worked for me were: Kp 30 Ki .3 Kd 0
0 Kd huh....interesting. How is your spike if you go WOT in the high RPMs?

the_caruch (04-04-2011)
 Old 04-04-2011, 11:01 AM   #700

Not Ranked  0 score     

Matt...yes I am still running those same PID settings.

This is some great info caruch

The Following User Says Thank You to RichieRichness For This Useful Post:
the_caruch (04-04-2011)
 Old 04-04-2011, 11:22 AM   #701

Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by MattJackson86 View Post
Make sense. I kinda suspected that was my issue as my "low boost" map is set to 14 psi but I still hold 15-16psi. I am honestly not worried too much about the initial overshoot too much. My main concerns are not reaching/holding target and spiking too high. I have found that going WOT at 3000 may have perfect boost control, but WOT at 4500 will spike to 20+ psi. I would like to not spike over 21-22 psi.

Maybe changing my targets to match what the turbo is doing though will prevent the PID values from changing unnecessarily.

Ok Ill try that and not touch Kd.

That makes sense, but doesn't give me warm and fuzzies. The idea behind PID is that it should meet your targets, not have to adjust targets to bump up the actual

0 Kd huh....interesting. How is your spike if you go WOT in the high RPMs?

I do/can spike if i go WOT after 4k. Which then could be dampened with some Kd.

It's tough to make it so you have a good boost curve going wot at 3k and then not spike going WOT at 4500 rpm with a quick spooling turbo.

If i do go WOT past 4k, i just roll on the throttle a little slower.

I know what you mean about have PID values so that it matches your target, but for the life of me i couldn't make a stable boost curve while trying to raise the boost past that point. So i ended up doing that and it worked great and it's something i can live with

EDIT: Here is a graph of when i had 18psi plugged into the SB and my PID values as i stated in my last post. See how it's slowly slopes to go under target. I just raise the SB boost accordingly in areas where it's below.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg stable pid.jpg (240.0 KB, 112 views)
 Old 04-04-2011, 11:42 AM   #702

Not Ranked  0 score     

And how much do you spike if going WOT past 4k? Is it super high? Ill start playing with the PID today and see how it goes. That graph looks great imo.

Old 04-04-2011, 11:50 AM   #703

Not Ranked  0 score     

And how much do you spike if going WOT past 4k? Is it super high? Ill start playing with the PID today and see how it goes. That graph looks great imo.
If i stab it at 4k or 4500 it'll go to 22psi then back to my target. Rolling into it will lessen that effect. I'm pretty sure to get the best of both worlds you just need to roll onto it a little slower in the higher RPM's going WOT

That is the point where i stopped tuning my boost for the day. So i'll pick back up soon once the weather cooperates.
MattJackson86 (04-04-2011)
 Old 04-04-2011, 11:04 PM   #704

Not Ranked  0 score     

So I tried your PID settings (30, .3, 0). Going WOT at 3,000 seems good with just a minor spike. Rolling on seems ok too, but you really have to roll on slow. If you mash at around 4500 then it spikes anywhere from 22-27psi. What do I need to change to stop that spike somewhat, even if it means compromising other areas? The boost seems to hold a lot better. Need to get a SB log but looking at my boost gauge and its not moving like it used too.

Old 04-05-2011, 07:23 AM   #705

Not Ranked  0 score     

27 psi boost spike!?!?!

Old 04-05-2011, 07:39 AM   #706

Not Ranked  0 score     

So I tried your PID settings (30, .3, 0). Going WOT at 3,000 seems good with just a minor spike. Rolling on seems ok too, but you really have to roll on slow. If you mash at around 4500 then it spikes anywhere from 22-27psi. What do I need to change to stop that spike somewhat, even if it means compromising other areas? The boost seems to hold a lot better. Need to get a SB log but looking at my boost gauge and its not moving like it used too.
27? jesus haha

you'll probably want to add some Kd in there. that will dampen everything. how much should you add? i'm not sure. try 10,20,30. See if it's doing anything to help. If not try bigger numbers, 100,150,200, etc.

Check to make sure it's not killing your 3000rpm WOT boost curve though. i would change Kd and then do a run at 3000 and then at 4500rpm run to see what it's affecting.

I'll be adding in some Kd myself to smooth things out
MattJackson86 (04-05-2011)
 Old 04-05-2011, 08:54 AM   #707

Not Ranked  0 score     

27 psi boost spike!?!?!
Yup. It doesn't surprise me as when I tried your PID settings a while back I was spiking to 24. And they are the same PID settings I am now running but I have 0 Kd and you have 150. So When I start adding Kd I will go with the 200,250, 300 range and see what happens.

Old 04-05-2011, 08:24 PM   #708

Not Ranked  0 score     

At 30, .3, 300 right now and that has cured most of the major spike. Just getting the AFR/Kr in line again (I guess due to the extra boost). Will get some logs tomorrow but so far so good.

the_caruch (04-05-2011)
 Old 04-05-2011, 09:39 PM   #709

Not Ranked  0 score     

At 30, .3, 300 right now and that has cured most of the major spike. Just getting the AFR/Kr in line again (I guess due to the extra boost). Will get some logs tomorrow but so far so good.
cool! any logs or graphs?
 Old 04-06-2011, 01:10 PM   #710

Not Ranked  0 score     

No, the SB is having its usual issues of disconnecting in the middle of a log. Still trying to get the AFR and Kr back to normal. The new PID settings have introduced quite a bit of Kr due to my AFR changing.

RichieRichness (04-07-2011)
 Old 04-06-2011, 03:06 PM   #711

CosmicArkie is the leader of the worldCosmicArkie is the leader of the worldCosmicArkie is the leader of the worldCosmicArkie is the leader of the worldCosmicArkie is the leader of the worldCosmicArkie is the leader of the worldCosmicArkie is the leader of the worldCosmicArkie is the leader of the worldCosmicArkie is the leader of the worldCosmicArkie is the leader of the worldCosmicArkie is the leader of the world
Thanked 2,467 Times in 687 Posts
Groans: 21
Groaned at 12 Times in 10 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Hey Matt & Caruch,

While we're waiting for your log, let me pose a question or two.
I've noticed that when rolling on the throttle gently I can get a nice
smooth AFR line on the DH. When I stab it at 3k or so and run to
redline, it looks like Matt's log in #692, all jagged like the Rockies.
What's up with that?

Secondly, Matt, I downloaded and looked at your tune. On the fuel
table you go from like -.8; -.9; -1.8; -4.3. And you have a very
small area of the table you actually tweek. I've been trying to gain
a nice smooth AFR log by starting sooner (to the left) and gradually
adding or subtracting. Am I screwed up in my thinking? I'm way
back in the woods and don't have access to a dyno.

Thanks,

Jim

"I only do what the voices in my wifeís head tell her to tell me to do"
CosmicArkie is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 04-06-2011, 07:03 PM   #712

Not Ranked  0 score     

Jim,

Reagarding the log in 692, note the resolution. I made the AFR graph only span from 11-13 (or something like that) so it looks jagged. If I changed that to show 5-20 it would look a lot smoother. Just make sure that is not your problem first. I dont see why stabbing it at 3k or rolling on at 3k would make a huge difference. Maybe at first, but around 3500 or so I would expect it to have settled down again.

I only tweak the area where I am in WOT. The MAF chart is RPMvMAF so I dont start making changes until 3.8ish MAF volts. I do make changes sooner, but just so I gradually roll into the changes. You will notice that below 3.8 the changes are a lot smaller (cut in half) so that its a smooth transition. Making changes any further to the left will make changes even when not at WOT and I don't think that is desired. Anyone else have thoughts?

- Matt

CosmicArkie (04-07-2011)
 Old 04-06-2011, 07:17 PM   #713

Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by CosmicArkie View Post
Hey Matt & Caruch,

While we're waiting for your log, let me pose a question or two.
I've noticed that when rolling on the throttle gently I can get a nice
smooth AFR line on the DH. When I stab it at 3k or so and run to
redline, it looks like Matt's log in #692, all jagged like the Rockies.
What's up with that?

Secondly, Matt, I downloaded and looked at your tune. On the fuel
table you go from like -.8; -.9; -1.8; -4.3. And you have a very
small area of the table you actually tweek. I've been trying to gain
a nice smooth AFR log by starting sooner (to the left) and gradually
adding or subtracting. Am I screwed up in my thinking? I'm way
back in the woods and don't have access to a dyno.

Thanks,

Jim

Not sure why yours would be jagged if you stab it at 3k. Might be boost levels. Make sure your boost is smooth, as oscillating boost might cause up and down afr's because it's going back between more air/less air/more air/less air.

Jim,

Reagarding the log in 692, note the resolution. I made the AFR graph only span from 11-13 (or something like that) so it looks jagged. If I changed that to show 5-20 it would look a lot smoother. Just make sure that is not your problem first. I dont see why stabbing it at 3k or rolling on at 3k would make a huge difference. Maybe at first, but around 3500 or so I would expect it to have settled down again.

I only tweak the area where I am in WOT. The MAF chart is RPMvMAF so I dont start making changes until 3.8ish MAF volts. I do make changes sooner, but just so I gradually roll into the changes. You will notice that below 3.8 the changes are a lot smaller (cut in half) so that its a smooth transition. Making changes any further to the left will make changes even when not at WOT and I don't think that is desired. Anyone else have thoughts?

- Matt
Yea i don't start making MAF and Boost changes until 4.0 TPS volts. That's ONLY because i have the cp-e flashes and my TPS volts stay constantly above that during WOT.
CosmicArkie (04-07-2011)
 Old 04-06-2011, 07:43 PM   #714

Not Ranked  0 score     

So I am getting there slowly. Currently at 29, .3, 375. Not much has changed except I dont spike above 21 psi no matter when I stab the throttle, so that I am happy with. The AFR is looking much better and Knock is under control (kinda).

I always get knock so I dont freak when I see it. Especially when 1 run has knock and the next 2 are perfect. I have attached a DH log of the knock that shows occasionally. Should I be concerned? It is 3 degress of KR, so more than I like, but my AFR's drop appropriately and I am not running lean. So I think the knock sensor and the ecu are doing there job and Im not that worried.

Will finish up the remaining kr and afr tomorrow, but I am real close. Then we can chat about the PID once more and see if what I have is good or if I should change something. Still no SB logs. Damn thing disconnects and I am once again on the verge of throwing it out the window and going AP. CP-E, FIX THE LOGGING ISSUES!!!!
Attached Images
File Type: png Knock.PNG (136.9 KB, 11 views)

Old 04-06-2011, 07:53 PM   #715

Not Ranked  0 score     

That looks like a great AFR line to me.

Knock that is there 1 run and not the next might be attributed to the injector seals.
 Old 04-06-2011, 11:52 PM   #716

Not Ranked  0 score     

That looks like a great AFR line to me.

Knock that is there 1 run and not the next might be attributed to the injector seals.
You mean my freshly installed CP-E injector seals?

Yea the knock is not present all the time which is always my main concern. 3 degrees is a lot to get no matter, but im hoping that as my AFR drops appropriately then either way there is not much to worry about. Took some more DH logs tonight. Will look at them in the morning and post them. Will try and get some SB logs tomorrow to show the boost too.

Old 04-07-2011, 07:00 AM   #717

Not Ranked  0 score     

You mean my freshly installed CP-E injector seals?

Yea the knock is not present all the time which is always my main concern. 3 degrees is a lot to get no matter, but im hoping that as my AFR drops appropriately then either way there is not much to worry about. Took some more DH logs tonight. Will look at them in the morning and post them. Will try and get some SB logs tomorrow to show the boost too.
haha ok well then it's just normal knock

have you tried to add fuel to the whole afr line? maybe it's just too lean? kind of hard to tell from your last DH screenshot
 Old 04-07-2011, 08:27 AM   #718

Not Ranked  0 score     

Matt,

3 degrees of KR at WOT is not a normal event....

I'm thinking Caruch's approach to PID tuning will work better if you start with your SB zeroed out (start fresh). Getting your boost/PID's set before the tune might be a better strategy. Then work on adjusting boost/fuel/afr values...adjusting timing should be the last step to gaining power and quell KR (unless your getting huge amounts of KR then pull a generic amount of timing).

Your afr looks good now however, your getting lots of KR from 4000 - 6000 rpm which means these AFR values will change depending on how much KR you get (because KR causes timing to drop).

I think its very easy to fuck up your tune with PID changes...this is why I say do PID first and timing last.

Do you follow my logic?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RichieRichness For This Useful Post:
MattJackson86 (04-07-2011), the_caruch (04-07-2011)
 Old 04-07-2011, 08:43 AM   #719

Not Ranked  0 score     

Matt,

3 degrees of KR at WOT is not a normal event....

I'm thinking Caruch's approach to PID tuning will work better if you start with your SB zeroed out (start fresh). Getting your boost/PID's set before the tune might be a better strategy. Then work on adjusting boost/fuel/afr values...adjusting timing should be the last step to gaining power and quell KR (unless your getting huge amounts of KR then pull a generic amount of timing).

Your afr looks good now however, your getting lots of KR from 4000 - 6000 rpm which means these AFR values will change depending on how much KR you get (because KR causes timing to drop).

I think its very easy to fuck up your tune with PID changes...this is why I say do PID first and timing last.

Do you follow my logic?
From what i remember Matt's tune already had timing pulled.

That seems like pretty good logic.

The way i tune is i get my boost levels straightened out/stable and up to where i want them to be. Then straighten AFR. Finally adjust timing. (which will slightly change AFR's too )

Matt, can you post your current tune? The last tune i looked at didn't have any fuel psi adjustments. I could modify that table for you if you want so you get more pressure. It may help things. Definitely not all of the knock but it's worth a try.
 Old 04-07-2011, 09:10 AM   #720

Not Ranked  0 score     

3 degrees of KR at WOT is not a normal event
I agree, but I only get knock here and there. I think with my latest tune its loooking better and more consistent. Also, yes you probably should tune boost/PID, AFR, then timing. I was just hoping that the boost would not mess things up too badly, and I seem to be close.

From what i remember Matt's tune already had timing pulled.
I do, just in a few spots and just a degree or two.

Attached are 2 DH logs from last night and the latest tune. Couple more tweaks but I am reeling it in slowly.

I have not touched the fuel psi table. Not sure if it is needed or not. I have heard both sides that it helped with power etc, and others who say not. Thoughts? Why change the psi?
Attached Images
File Type: png DH1.PNG (128.8 KB, 13 views)
File Type: png DH2.PNG (137.3 KB, 11 views)
Attached Files
File Type: zip Tune - 20110406.zip (11.6 KB, 5 views)

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.mazdaspeedforums.org/forum/f9/standback-tuning-dummies-guide-official-q-14296/
Posted By For Type Date
[Mazda 3 MPS] ECU tunning ? glod wiedzy This thread Refback 08-02-2013 03:24 PM
[Mazda 3 MPS] ECU tunning - glod wiedzy This thread Refback 06-29-2012 04:58 AM
SoCal Standback help This thread Refback 05-16-2011 11:44 PM
standback tuning for dummies - Zuula Search This thread Refback 05-13-2010 12:43 PM
mazdaspeed standback maps - Zuula Search This thread Refback 05-05-2010 08:32 PM
mazdaspeed roush vent install - Zuula Search This thread Refback 03-22-2010 09:19 PM
Day of 1/3/2010: Top 50 of 183 Referring Pages This thread Refback 01-04-2010 10:00 AM
Day of 12/17/2009: Top 50 of 199 Referring Pages This thread Refback 12-18-2009 08:36 AM
Day of 12/2/2009: Top 50 of 217 Referring Pages This thread Refback 12-03-2009 08:20 AM
Day of 10/6/2009: Top 50 of 204 Referring Pages This thread Refback 10-07-2009 08:38 AM
Day of 10/1/2009: Top 50 of 200 Referring Pages This thread Refback 10-02-2009 08:52 AM
Day of 9/13/2009: Top 50 of 181 Referring Pages This thread Refback 09-14-2009 08:57 AM
Day of 7/29/2009: Top 50 of 195 Referring Pages This thread Refback 07-30-2009 08:07 AM
Day of 6/18/2009: Top 50 of 222 Referring Pages This thread Refback 06-19-2009 07:53 AM
Day of 6/16/2009: Top 50 of 223 Referring Pages This thread Refback 06-17-2009 08:20 AM
Day of 6/15/2009: Top 50 of 195 Referring Pages This thread Refback 06-16-2009 07:55 AM
Day of 6/10/2009: Top 50 of 188 Referring Pages This thread Refback 06-11-2009 07:40 AM
Day of 6/4/2009: Top 50 of 193 Referring Pages This thread Refback 06-05-2009 07:49 AM
Day of 5/31/2009: Top 50 of 182 Referring Pages This thread Refback 06-01-2009 08:32 AM
Day of 5/25/2009: Top 50 of 203 Referring Pages This thread Refback 05-26-2009 08:24 AM
Day of 5/21/2009: Top 50 of 213 Referring Pages This thread Refback 05-22-2009 08:29 AM
Day of 4/26/2009: Top 50 of 152 Referring Pages This thread Refback 04-27-2009 07:41 AM
Day of 3/18/2009: Top 50 of 207 Referring Pages This thread Refback 03-19-2009 04:16 PM
Day of 2/26/2009: Top 50 of 199 Referring Pages This thread Refback 02-27-2009 09:10 AM
Day of 2/22/2009: Top 50 of 176 Referring Pages This thread Refback 02-23-2009 08:04 AM
Day of 2/19/2009: Top 50 of 197 Referring Pages This thread Refback 02-20-2009 08:43 AM
Day of 1/28/2009: Top 50 of 276 Referring Pages This thread Refback 01-29-2009 07:41 AM
Day of 12/1/2008: Top 50 of 270 Referring Pages This thread Refback 12-02-2008 08:53 AM
Day of 11/30/2008: Top 50 of 252 Referring Pages This thread Refback 12-01-2008 09:19 AM
So the standback is in. - Carolina Mazdas This thread Refback 11-25-2008 08:56 AM
Day of 11/10/2008: Top 50 of 245 Referring Pages This thread Refback 11-11-2008 08:52 AM
Day of 11/3/2008: Top 50 of 245 Referring Pages This thread Refback 11-04-2008 10:34 AM