register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3/6 MZR Gen1 Forums (2006-2009)
> MazdaSpeed 3/6 - ECU Computer Tuning

MazdaSpeed 3/6 - ECU Computer Tuning Have an ECU tuning issue? Do you want to discuss Mazdaspeed 3/6 tuning solutions? Up to date info on the latest! Piasini Reflash, Cobb Access Port, Xede, Procede, Standback, Superchips & others supported here!

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!
Like Tree3Likes

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 11-25-2008, 05:30 AM   #81
Axle Breaker

jmhinkle is the leader of the worldjmhinkle is the leader of the worldjmhinkle is the leader of the worldjmhinkle is the leader of the worldjmhinkle is the leader of the worldjmhinkle is the leader of the worldjmhinkle is the leader of the worldjmhinkle is the leader of the worldjmhinkle is the leader of the worldjmhinkle is the leader of the worldjmhinkle is the leader of the world
Thanked 7,621 Times in 2,782 Posts
Groans: 162
Groaned at 28 Times in 16 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by AutoXRacer View Post
Yes, if you click on where it says Standback not connected, it will turn offline.
SWEEEEET. Thank you.
 Old 11-25-2008, 11:54 AM   #82

Twopoint0rex has a spectacular aura aboutTwopoint0rex has a spectacular aura aboutTwopoint0rex has a spectacular aura about
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

jmhinkle,
Can you or anyone else with the new software give me a quick tutorial on the basics. I have been tuning others systems like Hondata, Aem,chrome ect for years. These were all map based tuning software's and they tune actual values of the ECU , not voltage manipulation.

I have just started with the Standback software and I use version 2.5.
I need to know some basic command instructions since my PNP instructions don't match my software.

From what I have been told , I open the software prior to connecting the usb cable to the SB, I then connect the usb and I see the prompt on the lower right stating that it detects the SB.
From here I go to file and load tune and It opens the file that Jordan sent me. Now here's where I'm not sure what to do.
Do I have to do anything more for the file to be saved into the SB?( On all the other programs you have to send the file via a send button or load button)
I see a SEND button on the CONFIG screen, but when I hit that it ends up telling me I need a firmware upgrade a few times and then error's out the boost parameters.
I see the DATA LINK option to WRITE ALL CHARTS but that then says it will write over the whole SB .
What's the difference between SEND and WRITE ALL CHARTS. I know one updates the maps and one re writes them all. But which would I do to load this map that Jordan sent.

There's also a READ button on the CONFIG screen which I assume reads the info on the SB and displays it.
So now whats the difference between the READ button and the READ ALL CHARTS under the DATA LINK drop down?

Now lastly , how do I view save log data? I see nowhere to load it in the new software, and no way to play it back.

Sorry for the lame questions but I just am not sure what's the proper way to load these maps into the SB.

Once past these I'll ask what the EQUATION slots are and do we need to EMBED the tune into the logs in order to view them

Thanks for your help.
Twopoint0rex is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 11-25-2008, 12:26 PM   #83
Banned

phillyb is the leader of the worldphillyb is the leader of the worldphillyb is the leader of the worldphillyb is the leader of the worldphillyb is the leader of the worldphillyb is the leader of the worldphillyb is the leader of the worldphillyb is the leader of the worldphillyb is the leader of the worldphillyb is the leader of the worldphillyb is the leader of the world
Thanked 18,751 Times in 5,169 Posts
Groans: 1,940
Groaned at 886 Times in 632 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

what the fuck, i want the goddamned new software. and i want the fucking meth controller, i can haz please?
phillyb is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 11-25-2008, 12:43 PM   #84
Approved MSF Vendor

www.cp-e.com is the leader of the worldwww.cp-e.com is the leader of the worldwww.cp-e.com is the leader of the worldwww.cp-e.com is the leader of the worldwww.cp-e.com is the leader of the worldwww.cp-e.com is the leader of the worldwww.cp-e.com is the leader of the worldwww.cp-e.com is the leader of the worldwww.cp-e.com is the leader of the worldwww.cp-e.com is the leader of the worldwww.cp-e.com is the leader of the world
Thanked 4,675 Times in 997 Posts
Groans: 10
Groaned at 115 Times in 51 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

For whatever it's worth, I've been working on the v2.5 instructions all day and I'm hoping to have them finished this evening. I'll post a link where you guys may download it, and I think it'll answer a lot of these questions about the basic operation of the program. I'm sorry the documentation has been so poor up until this point, and I appreciate you guys working together and for posting questions up so everyone can learn together.

pihllyb, you can download the new software in the link below. Make sure that you install the Microsoft .NET framework before you run the program. Also be forewarned that all tunes made with previous software will no longer work with this new version.

Last edited by www.cp-e.com; 06-24-2010 at 08:03 AM.
www.cp-e.com is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to www.cp-e.com For This Useful Post:
phillyb (11-25-2008)
 Old 11-25-2008, 01:05 PM   #85

Grim is the leader of the worldGrim is the leader of the worldGrim is the leader of the worldGrim is the leader of the worldGrim is the leader of the worldGrim is the leader of the worldGrim is the leader of the worldGrim is the leader of the worldGrim is the leader of the worldGrim is the leader of the worldGrim is the leader of the world
Thanked 2,006 Times in 316 Posts
Groans: 70
Groaned at 92 Times in 80 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by www.cp-e.com View Post
For whatever it's worth, I've been working on the v2.5 instructions all day and I'm hoping to have them finished this evening. I'll post a link where you guys may download it, and I think it'll answer a lot of these questions about the basic operation of the program. I'm sorry the documentation has been so poor up until this point, and I appreciate you guys working together and for posting questions up so everyone can learn together.

pihllyb, you can download the new software in the link below. Make sure that you install the Microsoft .NET framework before you run the program. Also be forewarned that all tunes made with previous software will no longer work with this new version.
Awesome thanks for the download,now i can at least get a feel for the program before i get the sb.
 Old 11-25-2008, 01:47 PM   #86
Approved MSF Vendor

www.cp-e.com is the leader of the worldwww.cp-e.com is the leader of the worldwww.cp-e.com is the leader of the worldwww.cp-e.com is the leader of the worldwww.cp-e.com is the leader of the worldwww.cp-e.com is the leader of the worldwww.cp-e.com is the leader of the worldwww.cp-e.com is the leader of the worldwww.cp-e.com is the leader of the worldwww.cp-e.com is the leader of the worldwww.cp-e.com is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Grim View Post
Awesome thanks for the download,now i can at least get a feel for the program before i get the sb.
Excellent, just don't forget the .NET software!
 Old 11-25-2008, 01:49 PM   #87
Banned

phillyb is the leader of the worldphillyb is the leader of the worldphillyb is the leader of the worldphillyb is the leader of the worldphillyb is the leader of the worldphillyb is the leader of the worldphillyb is the leader of the worldphillyb is the leader of the worldphillyb is the leader of the worldphillyb is the leader of the worldphillyb is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

d00d, thank you. i haven't made any tunes yet anyway.
 Old 11-25-2008, 01:50 PM   #88
Banned

Not Ranked  0 score     

Excellent, just don't forget the .NET software!
where i can haz .net software?
YAY, .net is already on my machine

Last edited by phillyb; 11-25-2008 at 02:02 PM.
 Old 11-25-2008, 02:23 PM   #89
Approved MSF Vendor

Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by phillyb View Post
Here, just follow this link and make sure you've got the latest software:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

Or I guess you can try the software with whatever version of .NET you've got. I guess the worst that'll happen is it won't work, lol.

I hope you like it!
 Old 11-25-2008, 02:23 PM   #90

Grim is the leader of the worldGrim is the leader of the worldGrim is the leader of the worldGrim is the leader of the worldGrim is the leader of the worldGrim is the leader of the worldGrim is the leader of the worldGrim is the leader of the worldGrim is the leader of the worldGrim is the leader of the worldGrim is the leader of the world
Thanked 2,006 Times in 316 Posts
Groans: 70
Groaned at 92 Times in 80 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Just do windows update.
 Old 11-25-2008, 02:30 PM   #91

Twopoint0rex has a spectacular aura aboutTwopoint0rex has a spectacular aura aboutTwopoint0rex has a spectacular aura about
Not Ranked  0 score     

Well I had no idea what the microsoft.net framework program was either. I searched and found it on the web. I didnt know what to download as there's version 1.0, 2.0,3.0,3.5.
Jordan, just to clarify what version should people be running?(EDIT wow you answered my question before I could even finish asking.lol)
I tried to DL and install version 3.5 and it kept locking up my comp, it wouldn't install. I think I ended up with the 2.0 version. x86
I really wasn't even sure what I was looking at or what to install..lol

There's a
x86 version
x64 version
IA64 version
 Old 11-25-2008, 03:24 PM   #92
Approved MSF Vendor

Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Twopoint0rex View Post
From here I go to file and load tune and It opens the file that Jordan sent me. Now here's where I'm not sure what to do.

Do I have to do anything more for the file to be saved into the SB?( On all the other programs you have to send the file via a send button or load button)
I see a SEND button on the CONFIG screen, but when I hit that it ends up telling me I need a firmware upgrade a few times and then error's out the boost parameters.
I see the DATA LINK option to WRITE ALL CHARTS but that then says it will write over the whole SB .
What's the difference between SEND and WRITE ALL CHARTS. I know one updates the maps and one re writes them all. But which would I do to load this map that Jordan sent.
You've got the right idea. If you choose to send the maps down using the "Write all charts" then it'll send down everything. Alternatively, if you click the "read" or "send" buttons while looking at the config screen, it'll only send down the config screen information.

The fact that you're getting errors is peculiar though. Typically folks get that error when they have an older version of the Standback firmware, but I recall you saying that you had sent it in recently. Is that correct?

There's also a READ button on the CONFIG screen which I assume reads the info on the SB and displays it.
So now whats the difference between the READ button and the READ ALL CHARTS under the DATA LINK drop down?
Same difference as the "write all charts" and just the send button. In this case clicking "Send all charts" literally sends everything, and "Write" just sends the config screen data.

Now lastly , how do I view save log data? I see nowhere to load it in the new software, and no way to play it back.

Sorry for the lame questions but I just am not sure what's the proper way to load these maps into the SB.

Once past these I'll ask what the EQUATION slots are and do we need to EMBED the tune into the logs in order to view them

Thanks for your help.
If you want to view saved log data you have to use our new BlackBox software. I don't have links setup for any of this stuff yet because technically we haven't released any of this, lol. But if you want I can post a link for the BBX software as well, which will allow you to plot and manipulate the data.

The equation slots are for custom gauge applications. For instance, if you had a couple temperature sensors on the car and wanted to log intercooler efficiency, you can create equations using the analog inputs and the custom gauge will display your equation result in real-time. So if you have our analog input card you can log and display just about any gauge you want.

The embedded tune info allows the user to input video files, audio clips, pictures, and basic information about their tune and the car.

I apologize again for the lack of support for the new software. I finished the "functional" part of the instructions tonight, and if you'd like I can post what I have so far, which basically walks you through the basic operation of the Standback.

Well I had no idea what the microsoft.net framework program was either. I searched and found it on the web. I didnt know what to download as there's version 1.0, 2.0,3.0,3.5.
Jordan, just to clarify what version should people be running?(EDIT wow you answered my question before I could even finish asking.lol)
I tried to DL and install version 3.5 and it kept locking up my comp, it wouldn't install. I think I ended up with the 2.0 version. x86
I really wasn't even sure what I was looking at or what to install..lol

There's a
x86 version
x64 version
IA64 version

Hmm, so it locked up while trying to install 3.5? Have you tried running the Standback software using the older version of the .NET framework? I believe you grabbed the right configuration (x86), but I'll have to ask our programmer about that error you're getting, or why it may have locked up during installing of the 3.5 version.
 Old 11-25-2008, 03:59 PM   #93
Banned

Not Ranked  0 score     

with the new software, i see there's a boost table, and i can just up the boost in there?
furthermore, in the config window, there is still a way to control boost, which is better?
in order to add or subtract fuel, am i still using the maf table?
and do i need to have the sb connected?
i want to change the chart, but it says, sb unit not detected
 Old 11-25-2008, 04:32 PM   #94

Not Ranked  0 score     

Jordan,
Downloading the .net framework doesn't lock up my comp per say , after I click where I accept the license agreement, it loads another download screen, that screen wont DL anything and nothing happens. I let the computer sit overnight 2 times and it did nothing past that. It says 0 mb / 60 mb and then it says it is on 4 out of 5 attempts after hours.

Ok back to SB issues.
Whenever I hit any of the SEND/WRITE/READ buttons I get the prompt that my firmware is old and out dated and needs a re-flash. As far as when I got my SB , well I send you my SB1 early last week and you guys just sent me my SB2 on last Thursday . So it's brand new

I'm also having the problem when I hit the write all charts it gives me the prompt about the firmware and then errors out with a boost parameter and it says to re send them, after that then it will continue to throw prompts about not being able to verify data and to check power and connections.

This is what I'm doing.
1 start SB2.5 software
2 Plug in usb and verify connection
3 load tune file you sent via LOAD TUNE buttton
4 try to send it to SB via write all files via drop down prompt.
I get promt that says I have not read the SB first( I then read it and get firmware warning) I then try to write it and sometimes it will ask me if I want to do a full or partial write. NOTE it does not give me this selection every time for some reason.
I get the firmware prompt, the boost prompts
IT will error out , I cant even use cntrl alt delete once it starts , I have to hit the power button to stop it and shut down, then on reboot I get a system error and the comp has to do a self test.

This is what I try the next time.
1 start SB2.5 software
3 Load tune file you sent via LOAD TUNE button
4 Try to send it via SEND button on CONFIG screen
I get the needs firmware update 2 times. It then gives me the the error with g_ boost_desired_a
AND Error EGC Then it says Error in verifying boost parameters, please re send them.
 Old 11-25-2008, 04:39 PM   #95

Not Ranked  0 score     

with the new software, i see there's a boost table, and i can just up the boost in there?
furthermore, in the config window, there is still a way to control boost, which is better?
You can up the boost where it says primary and secondary boost, or you can click the box next to it and go off the boost map. The boost map can be tailored to keep the boost from coming on hard by lowering the boost values on the lower rpm area and vice versa, you can basicly tailor it by rpm and TPS or RPM and MAP ect ect.

If you want to make changes without the SB connected you can click on the prompt on the lower right hand side of the window where it says NO STANDBACK DETECTED, just click on it and it will say offline mode. Then just save the file when your done.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Twopoint0rex For This Useful Post:
boosted3 (11-27-2008), jmhinkle (11-28-2008), phillyb (11-25-2008)
 Old 11-25-2008, 05:26 PM   #96

timv has much to be proud oftimv has much to be proud oftimv has much to be proud oftimv has much to be proud oftimv has much to be proud oftimv has much to be proud oftimv has much to be proud oftimv has much to be proud oftimv has much to be proud of
Not Ranked  0 score     

[QUOTE=www.cp-e.com;112706]

If you want to view saved log data you have to use our new BlackBox software. I don't have links setup for any of this stuff yet because technically we haven't released any of this, lol. But if you want I can post a link for the BBX software as well, which will allow you to plot and manipulate the data.

It would be great if you could link this BBX software also so we could view logged data since if we didn't upgrade to the 2.5 we have access to view this data.....
Thanks....
timv is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 11-25-2008, 06:32 PM   #97

Not Ranked  0 score     

I'm also going to try to build a boost map for running lower octane gas. I'm new to this so it might have been done already, but for winter I'd like to try to drop boost to say 8-10lb and try to run on 89 octane. Once I have the program all figured out of course. (and I have some time logging)

I will also try a gas saver map and run low boost under say 5000 rpm.

With the boost map you asked about you can keep boost down to say 5-10 lbs up to say 5000 in theory. Now I have no hands on experience with this program yet and know the allowable limit that the SB and the oem ECM can handle, but I will find out..
 Old 11-26-2008, 10:06 AM   #98
Approved MSF Vendor

Not Ranked  0 score     

You've got the option between variable boost and fixed boost mode. Variable boost mode uses the boost targets set up in the boost table. To enable variable boost click the "Use Pri/Sec Boost" button and the software will use the table. If you type a number in the box then it'll always target that boost pressure value. Make sense?

And I see Twopoint0rex answered your other question

Jordan,
Downloading the .net framework doesn't lock up my comp per say , after I click where I accept the license agreement, it loads another download screen, that screen wont DL anything and nothing happens. I let the computer sit overnight 2 times and it did nothing past that. It says 0 mb / 60 mb and then it says it is on 4 out of 5 attempts after hours.

Ok back to SB issues.
Whenever I hit any of the SEND/WRITE/READ buttons I get the prompt that my firmware is old and out dated and needs a re-flash. As far as when I got my SB , well I send you my SB1 early last week and you guys just sent me my SB2 on last Thursday . So it's brand new

I'm also having the problem when I hit the write all charts it gives me the prompt about the firmware and then errors out with a boost parameter and it says to re send them, after that then it will continue to throw prompts about not being able to verify data and to check power and connections.

This is what I'm doing.
1 start SB2.5 software
3 load tune file you sent via LOAD TUNE buttton
4 try to send it to SB via write all files via drop down prompt.
I get promt that says I have not read the SB first( I then read it and get firmware warning) I then try to write it and sometimes it will ask me if I want to do a full or partial write. NOTE it does not give me this selection every time for some reason.
I get the firmware prompt, the boost prompts
IT will error out , I cant even use cntrl alt delete once it starts , I have to hit the power button to stop it and shut down, then on reboot I get a system error and the comp has to do a self test.

This is what I try the next time.
1 start SB2.5 software
3 Load tune file you sent via LOAD TUNE button
4 Try to send it via SEND button on CONFIG screen
I get the needs firmware update 2 times. It then gives me the the error with g_ boost_desired_a
AND Error EGC Then it says Error in verifying boost parameters, please re send them.

Would you mind posting the serial number of your SB here for me? I'll look up the history of your unit and see what kind of service was performed. You should have received the latest firmware. The serial number is on the front plate of the SB case.

I've also notified the software programmer that you were having trouble with loading maps and I've notified our electrical engineer. Between the three of us we'll figure that one out!

Updates:

New programmer drop, v2.51:

- Graph selections are now remembered.
- Swapped current map indicator colors
- Fuel Pressure values are now limited to +80 to -80
- Timing 3 degree restraint is not enforced in offline mode

Latest BlackBox software for datalog reviewing.

I'm also going to upload some very rough instructions for the v2.5 version. It isn't pretty, but it has most of the information you need to be dangerous, and we'll release a more polished version shortly after the break. I've still got to address the real-time graphs, datalogging, and hot keys.

Please remember to uninstall any old versions before installing this new drop! Thanks!!

Last edited by www.cp-e.com; 03-06-2011 at 07:32 PM.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to www.cp-e.com For This Useful Post:
AutoXRacer (11-26-2008), jmhinkle (11-30-2008), phillyb (11-26-2008), Smoker6 (12-04-2008), timv (11-26-2008)
 Old 11-26-2008, 10:55 AM   #99
Banned

Not Ranked  0 score     

ok, so here's a 3rd gear pull

what can i do???
where should i start?
 Old 11-26-2008, 11:24 AM   #100
Banned

Not Ranked  0 score     

are the drivers for the sb only on the disc?
or is there a zip somewhere that can give me the drivers for t3h standback?
 Old 11-26-2008, 11:34 AM   #101

gsrtype1 is the leader of the worldgsrtype1 is the leader of the worldgsrtype1 is the leader of the worldgsrtype1 is the leader of the worldgsrtype1 is the leader of the worldgsrtype1 is the leader of the worldgsrtype1 is the leader of the worldgsrtype1 is the leader of the worldgsrtype1 is the leader of the worldgsrtype1 is the leader of the worldgsrtype1 is the leader of the world
Thanked 2,678 Times in 712 Posts
Groans: 102
Groaned at 232 Times in 155 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

WTF!! your knock is closeto 5.0?! why don't you stretch out that graph?
 Old 11-26-2008, 11:58 AM   #102
Banned

Not Ranked  0 score     

d00d, i've been having problems with my data logger view. when i move around the knock numbers, it also affects and changes the spark graph
 Old 11-26-2008, 12:08 PM   #103

gsrtype1 is the leader of the worldgsrtype1 is the leader of the worldgsrtype1 is the leader of the worldgsrtype1 is the leader of the worldgsrtype1 is the leader of the worldgsrtype1 is the leader of the worldgsrtype1 is the leader of the worldgsrtype1 is the leader of the worldgsrtype1 is the leader of the worldgsrtype1 is the leader of the worldgsrtype1 is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

ahh ok?? no comprehna. so thats not a fair log?
 Old 11-26-2008, 12:47 PM   #104
Banned

Not Ranked  0 score     

sure it is. it's a third gear log. i want to start with fuel, not worry about timing, since i don't understand it yet anyway. for adjusting the fuel, what should i do? start pulling it at 3500?
tps between 3.1 and 5???
this is what i'm unsure of
 Old 11-26-2008, 01:07 PM   #105

Not Ranked  0 score     

So , I can't use the write tables button. It just error's out and tells me it cant verify anything. I think I might need to send my SB in for a firmware upgrade and testing.
I thought i might have been doing something wrong with the way I was sending the files, but I'm doing it exactly like the instructions with no change.
 Old 11-26-2008, 01:17 PM   #106

Not Ranked  0 score     

sure it is. it's a third gear log. i want to start with fuel, not worry about timing, since i don't understand it yet anyway. for adjusting the fuel, what should i do? start pulling it at 3500?
tps between 3.1 and 5???
I pull fuel at about 4k at 2.1 throttle, start low in 1% increments and get your afrs in the low 12's. timeing is same but you add in small increments.. it real easy
 Old 11-26-2008, 01:18 PM   #107
Banned

Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by gsrtype1 View Post
I pull fuel at about 4k at 2.1 throttle, start low in 1% increments and get your afrs in the low 12's. timeing is same but you add in small increments.. it real easy
ok, i understand the fuel thing. you pull fuel to make the mixture more lean. i got that. i can fiddle with that when i get home later.
timing is something i know nothing about. you advance timing, and what does that mean?
 Old 11-26-2008, 01:23 PM   #108

Not Ranked  0 score     

ok, i understand the fuel thing. you pull fuel to make the mixture more lean. i got that. i can fiddle with that when i get home later.
timing is something i know nothing about. you advance timing, and what does that mean?
Advance timing is the opssite of knock retard, it gives you more power if the conditions are right like meth, high octane gas, colder air. If conditions are not favorable you will get more knock wich isnt good. ive been advanceing 4dgrees 19psi with meth and 0 knock!.. You just keep increasing till you find your limit. BUT REMEBER everycar is diff don't jump the gun do increments for ex: 1% fuel can through you way too lean.. or it might not you have to mess with it to find whats right for your car.
 Old 11-26-2008, 01:38 PM   #109
Banned

boosted3 is the leader of the worldboosted3 is the leader of the worldboosted3 is the leader of the worldboosted3 is the leader of the worldboosted3 is the leader of the worldboosted3 is the leader of the worldboosted3 is the leader of the worldboosted3 is the leader of the worldboosted3 is the leader of the worldboosted3 is the leader of the worldboosted3 is the leader of the world
Groans: 49
Groaned at 21 Times in 17 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

i just go tmy stand back an di have had a dash hawk for ahwile.i duno where to start at all.No comprenda on this tunning lol.im shooting for a 19 psi tune mild and a 15 psi tune safe
boosted3 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 11-26-2008, 01:42 PM   #110

Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by boosted3 View Post
i just go tmy stand back an di have had a dash hawk for ahwile.i duno where to start at all.No comprenda on this tunning lol.im shooting for a 19 psi tune mild and a 15 psi tune safe
In my opinion I wouldnt go 19psi unless you meth.. as far as tuning its esay my prevous 2 posts pretty much sums it up.:phillyb:
 Old 11-26-2008, 08:38 PM   #111

Not Ranked  0 score     

Timing is measurement of crank rotation 0-360 degree's. Now car motors your spark plug fires at a certain timing degree mark prior to the piston reaching TDC(top dead center) .
So your piston goes down in the cyl on the intake stroke, at the same time the intake valve is opening taking in air to the cyl. When the piston reaches close to the bottom the intake valve closes and it the piston starts to come back up with a cyl now full of air(and fuel on non disi motors) Now thats called the compression stroke. Well at that point your spark plug fires depending on what the timing is set to. So if your base timing is 16 degrees, the spark plug fires at 16 btdc(before top dead center) So it actually is starting to burn fuel before the pistton gets to the top of the cyl. If you advance the timing too much it will fire so soon that the gas will ignite when the piston is to low in the cyl. It will then be basicly trying to slam the piston into a wall of fighting pressure. Now this is more or less detonation. Or pre ignition.
So to fight detonation you want to retard timing some.
I'll post more up about it later..got to run.( I type with 2 fingers so it takes me a long time to post..lol)
The Following User Says Thank You to Twopoint0rex For This Useful Post:
phillyb (11-27-2008)
 Old 11-26-2008, 09:03 PM   #112

AutoXRacer has a reputation beyond reputeAutoXRacer has a reputation beyond reputeAutoXRacer has a reputation beyond reputeAutoXRacer has a reputation beyond reputeAutoXRacer has a reputation beyond reputeAutoXRacer has a reputation beyond reputeAutoXRacer has a reputation beyond reputeAutoXRacer has a reputation beyond reputeAutoXRacer has a reputation beyond reputeAutoXRacer has a reputation beyond reputeAutoXRacer has a reputation beyond repute
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Philly, if you are getting knock, you need to pull timing (-0.5, -1.0, etc..).
-0.5 is half a degree of timing pulled, -1.0 is 1 degree of timing pulled...get it...?

I would pull timing where you have knock...

That graph also needs to be expanded and the AFRs zoomed in. Only display relevant info. AFR 9-13, RPM 0-6900, knock, 0.0 to 7.0, Spark 0.0-40.0, etc... You get the picture. The AFR curve is really important to zoom in on...you kind of miss the whole picture if you don't.

I would zoom in your graph from 2.0 to 9.0 on the time line.
The Following User Says Thank You to AutoXRacer For This Useful Post:
phillyb (11-27-2008)
 Old 11-27-2008, 12:18 AM   #113
Banned

Not Ranked  0 score     

Timing is measurement of crank rotation 0-360 degree's. Now car motors your spark plug fires at a certain timing degree mark prior to the piston reaching TDC(top dead center) .
So your piston goes down in the cyl on the intake stroke, at the same time the intake valve is opening taking in air to the cyl. When the piston reaches close to the bottom the intake valve closes and it the piston starts to come back up with a cyl now full of air(and fuel on non disi motors) Now thats called the compression stroke. Well at that point your spark plug fires depending on what the timing is set to. So if your base timing is 16 degrees, the spark plug fires at 16 btdc(before top dead center) So it actually is starting to burn fuel before the pistton gets to the top of the cyl. If you advance the timing too much it will fire so soon that the gas will ignite when the piston is to low in the cyl. It will then be basicly trying to slam the piston into a wall of fighting pressure. Now this is more or less detonation. Or pre ignition.
So to fight detonation you want to retard timing some.
I'll post more up about it later..got to run.( I type with 2 fingers so it takes me a long time to post..lol)
so is knock pre-ignition? and that's why autox is saying to retard timing?
 Old 11-27-2008, 08:02 AM   #114

Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by AutoXRacer View Post
Philly, if you are getting knock, you need to pull timing (-0.5, -1.0, etc..).
-0.5 is half a degree of timing pulled, -1.0 is 1 degree of timing pulled...get it...?

I would pull timing where you have knock...

That graph also needs to be expanded and the AFRs zoomed in. Only display relevant info. AFR 9-13, RPM 0-6900, knock, 0.0 to 7.0, Spark 0.0-40.0, etc... You get the picture. The AFR curve is really important to zoom in on...you kind of miss the whole picture if you don't.

I would zoom in your graph from 2.0 to 9.0 on the time line.
he could also add a little fuel to help...thats what i told him his knock looks like its close too 5.0 he sais his log was scewed or something..lol
 Old 11-27-2008, 08:41 AM   #115
Banned

boosted3 is the leader of the worldboosted3 is the leader of the worldboosted3 is the leader of the worldboosted3 is the leader of the worldboosted3 is the leader of the worldboosted3 is the leader of the worldboosted3 is the leader of the worldboosted3 is the leader of the worldboosted3 is the leader of the worldboosted3 is the leader of the worldboosted3 is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

ive been pulling fuel from aroud 4800 rpms 2.6 volts in incraments of -1 2 rows then -2 1 row and -3 1 row all the way till-5 at 7rpms.is that a start for pulling fuel.Someone told me thats a good start
 Old 11-27-2008, 08:51 AM   #116

Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by boosted3 View Post
ive been pulling fuel from aroud 4800 rpms 2.6 volts in incraments of -1 2 rows then -2 1 row and -3 1 row all the way till-5 at 7rpms.is that a start for pulling fuel.Someone told me thats a good start
thats a good start but why pull so late? start at 2.1 volts and at around 4200 rpm...
 Old 11-27-2008, 09:04 AM   #117
Approved MSF Vendor

Not Ranked  0 score     

tps between 3.1 and 5???
For the most part knock is the enemy when tuning, and as others have said it needs to be avoided at all costs. Since ignition advance is going to have the greatest effect on knock (assuming that you're not running too much boost), you've really got to adjust that before you make any fueling changes. If at any point you're generating knock and don't know why, or how to fix it, email me immediately with a log and I'll be happy to make some changes for you.

he could also add a little fuel to help...thats what i told him his knock looks like its close too 5.0 he sais his log was scewed or something..lol

That's solid advice, but keep in mind that his knock is being generated when his fueling is already relatively rich (the scaling makes it a little hard to tell though). If his mixture isn't overly lean to begin with, then adding more fuel probably won't help the situation much. In a situation like this he's probably running too much timing or too much boost and may have to reduce one or both of them.
 Old 11-27-2008, 09:24 AM   #118

Not Ranked  0 score     

For the most part knock is the enemy when tuning, and as others have said it needs to be avoided at all costs. Since ignition advance is going to have the greatest effect on knock (assuming that you're not running too much boost), you've really got to adjust that before you make any fueling changes. If at any point you're generating knock and don't know why, or how to fix it, email me immediately with a log and I'll be happy to make some changes for you.

That's solid advice, but keep in mind that his knock is being generated when his fueling is already relatively rich (the scaling makes it a little hard to tell though). If his mixture isn't overly lean to begin with, then adding more fuel probably won't help the situation much. In a situation like this he's probably running too much timing or too much boost and may have to reduce one or both of them.
yep that makes sense!
 Old 11-27-2008, 09:27 AM   #119
Banned

Not Ranked  0 score     

thats a good start but why pull so late? start at 2.1 volts and at around 4200 rpm...
it was my friend craighr caus ehe knows im not a genous wiht this shit lmao.Im a noob at this.but im trying to learn here.I should just worrry about gettig afr stable first right wiht pulling fuel
 Old 11-28-2008, 02:12 AM   #120
Banned

Not Ranked  0 score     

here is a 3rd gear log.
what can/should i do

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.mazdaspeedforums.org/forum/f9/standback-tuning-dummies-guide-official-q-14296/
Posted By For Type Date
[Mazda 3 MPS] ECU tunning ? glod wiedzy This thread Refback 08-02-2013 02:24 PM
[Mazda 3 MPS] ECU tunning - glod wiedzy This thread Refback 06-29-2012 03:58 AM
SoCal Standback help This thread Refback 05-16-2011 10:44 PM
standback tuning for dummies - Zuula Search This thread Refback 05-13-2010 11:43 AM
mazdaspeed standback maps - Zuula Search This thread Refback 05-05-2010 07:32 PM
mazdaspeed roush vent install - Zuula Search This thread Refback 03-22-2010 08:19 PM
Day of 1/3/2010: Top 50 of 183 Referring Pages This thread Refback 01-04-2010 09:00 AM
Day of 12/17/2009: Top 50 of 199 Referring Pages This thread Refback 12-18-2009 07:36 AM
Day of 12/2/2009: Top 50 of 217 Referring Pages This thread Refback 12-03-2009 07:20 AM
Day of 10/6/2009: Top 50 of 204 Referring Pages This thread Refback 10-07-2009 07:38 AM
Day of 10/1/2009: Top 50 of 200 Referring Pages This thread Refback 10-02-2009 07:52 AM
Day of 9/13/2009: Top 50 of 181 Referring Pages This thread Refback 09-14-2009 07:57 AM
Day of 7/29/2009: Top 50 of 195 Referring Pages This thread Refback 07-30-2009 07:07 AM
Day of 6/18/2009: Top 50 of 222 Referring Pages This thread Refback 06-19-2009 06:53 AM
Day of 6/16/2009: Top 50 of 223 Referring Pages This thread Refback 06-17-2009 07:20 AM
Day of 6/15/2009: Top 50 of 195 Referring Pages This thread Refback 06-16-2009 06:55 AM
Day of 6/10/2009: Top 50 of 188 Referring Pages This thread Refback 06-11-2009 06:40 AM
Day of 6/4/2009: Top 50 of 193 Referring Pages This thread Refback 06-05-2009 06:49 AM
Day of 5/31/2009: Top 50 of 182 Referring Pages This thread Refback 06-01-2009 07:32 AM
Day of 5/25/2009: Top 50 of 203 Referring Pages This thread Refback 05-26-2009 07:24 AM
Day of 5/21/2009: Top 50 of 213 Referring Pages This thread Refback 05-22-2009 07:29 AM
Day of 4/26/2009: Top 50 of 152 Referring Pages This thread Refback 04-27-2009 06:41 AM
Day of 3/18/2009: Top 50 of 207 Referring Pages This thread Refback 03-19-2009 03:16 PM
Day of 2/26/2009: Top 50 of 199 Referring Pages This thread Refback 02-27-2009 08:10 AM
Day of 2/22/2009: Top 50 of 176 Referring Pages This thread Refback 02-23-2009 07:04 AM
Day of 2/19/2009: Top 50 of 197 Referring Pages This thread Refback 02-20-2009 07:43 AM
Day of 1/28/2009: Top 50 of 276 Referring Pages This thread Refback 01-29-2009 06:41 AM
Day of 12/1/2008: Top 50 of 270 Referring Pages This thread Refback 12-02-2008 07:53 AM
Day of 11/30/2008: Top 50 of 252 Referring Pages This thread Refback 12-01-2008 08:19 AM
So the standback is in. - Carolina Mazdas This thread Refback 11-25-2008 07:56 AM
Day of 11/10/2008: Top 50 of 245 Referring Pages This thread Refback 11-11-2008 07:52 AM
Day of 11/3/2008: Top 50 of 245 Referring Pages This thread Refback 11-04-2008 09:34 AM