register gallery

Go Back   Mazdaspeed Forums >
MAZDASPEED SECTION
>
Mazdaspeed 3/6 MZR Gen1 Forums (2006-2009)
> MazdaSpeed 3/6 - ECU Computer Tuning

MazdaSpeed 3/6 - ECU Computer Tuning Have an ECU tuning issue? Do you want to discuss Mazdaspeed 3/6 tuning solutions? Up to date info on the latest! Piasini Reflash, Cobb Access Port, Xede, Procede, Standback, Superchips & others supported here!

Welcome to Mazdaspeed Forums .

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

*When you join MSF as a registered user, there will be No Ads.

*Registered Members get access to the Off Topic Area of the Forum

*Registered Members have an opportunity to upgrade their accounts to VIP, which brings a host of goddies for supporting MSF such as Raffles, Additional Forum Access, More PM Storage, The ability to upload more Images and many other enhancements.

*Registered members also get access to the live chat box!

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 Old 11-19-2017, 05:03 PM   #1

BuddySpeed3 has a reputation beyond reputeBuddySpeed3 has a reputation beyond reputeBuddySpeed3 has a reputation beyond reputeBuddySpeed3 has a reputation beyond reputeBuddySpeed3 has a reputation beyond reputeBuddySpeed3 has a reputation beyond reputeBuddySpeed3 has a reputation beyond reputeBuddySpeed3 has a reputation beyond reputeBuddySpeed3 has a reputation beyond reputeBuddySpeed3 has a reputation beyond reputeBuddySpeed3 has a reputation beyond repute
Groans: 0
Groaned at 7 Times in 4 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Neutral  +1 score     
Default VE Tables and upgraded manifolds

Hey guy's, I'm planning to upgrade my intake and exhaust manifolds soon. Have you guys been modifying the VE table at all? I can't find much info on how to modify it, or if it's even truly necessary to tweak it when upgrading to better flowing manifolds.
- 2009 Speed 3 - BNR S4 V2 (22 Psi) - HTP 3" Intake - Cobb 3 Port Bcs - Cobb AP V2 - Guardian Angel V3 - Cpe Tmic - Cnt Catted Tb - Cobb Xle Bpv - Autotech Internals - Jbr Boost Tubes - Jbr Occ (Vta setup) - Jbr 88a Rmm - 88a Tmm - 80a Pmm - Corksport Injector Seals - Ngk 1 Step colder Plugs - Unplugged Egr - Koni Yellow Shocks - Eibach Springs - 94 Oct w/ In Tank Methanol (2 Gallons) - SP Stage 1 WMI 50/50 Mix (Strictly Cooling) -
BuddySpeed3 is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 12-02-2017, 02:08 PM   #2

BuddySpeed3 has a reputation beyond reputeBuddySpeed3 has a reputation beyond reputeBuddySpeed3 has a reputation beyond reputeBuddySpeed3 has a reputation beyond reputeBuddySpeed3 has a reputation beyond reputeBuddySpeed3 has a reputation beyond reputeBuddySpeed3 has a reputation beyond reputeBuddySpeed3 has a reputation beyond reputeBuddySpeed3 has a reputation beyond reputeBuddySpeed3 has a reputation beyond reputeBuddySpeed3 has a reputation beyond repute
(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Ofcourse the volumetric efficiency of the engine will increase with higher flowing manifolds and from what I've read the VE table should be tweaked when upgrading the manifolds. I'm just trying to see if anyone has any experience tuning with these installed. Like is there anything to look out for such as running lean, boost spikes, etc? I read that if there are certain rpm/load regions where there is a lean spike, increasing the value in that region in the VE tables is a good place to start. Thanks for any info!
- 2009 Speed 3 - BNR S4 V2 (22 Psi) - HTP 3" Intake - Cobb 3 Port Bcs - Cobb AP V2 - Guardian Angel V3 - Cpe Tmic - Cnt Catted Tb - Cobb Xle Bpv - Autotech Internals - Jbr Boost Tubes - Jbr Occ (Vta setup) - Jbr 88a Rmm - 88a Tmm - 80a Pmm - Corksport Injector Seals - Ngk 1 Step colder Plugs - Unplugged Egr - Koni Yellow Shocks - Eibach Springs - 94 Oct w/ In Tank Methanol (2 Gallons) - SP Stage 1 WMI 50/50 Mix (Strictly Cooling) -
 Old 12-02-2017, 08:44 PM   #3

Fstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the world
Groans: 5
Groaned at 5 Times in 4 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

Solely my opinion, but if your MAFCAL is spot on, you should be able to tune the VE tables using the same method as a MAFCAL. Albeit a lot more complex/time consuming.
eBay Stage 1 OCC, DM RMM/Stage 2 OCC
Puppy Power tuning temporarily suspended.
Other rides:
2002 Tacoma ExtCab 2.4L 5spd 2WD - Parts Getter
2004 Olds Alero ECOtec 2.2 - Broken (since Christmas 2015)
History:
2008 GSX-R 1000 - Stolen (With several runs past 180, I'd probably be dead by now if it wasn't stolen. So, in a way, I'm thankful.)
1988 RX-7 TII - Sold (Megasquirt, streetport, filter-on-turbo SRI, custom TBE, 20psi boost creep on OE turbo, OE TMIC on ice, 13.467 @ 105.44) apex seals said buh bye!
1985 Camaro - Sold (est. 265bhp 5.7 swap, Edelbrock intake & Hooker headers)
Fstrnyou is offline   Reply With Quote
 Old 12-03-2017, 09:22 PM   #4

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by Fstrnyou View Post
Solely my opinion, but if your MAFCAL is spot on, you should be able to tune the VE tables using the same method as a MAFCAL. Albeit a lot more complex/time consuming.
So do you mean using the multiplier obtained from Actual AFR / Target AFR, and multiplying it by the values in the VE Table at a given load/rpm region?

This seems like a good idea

I figure I'll start by enriching my maf curve slightly for safety when testing the new manifolds.

Then I'll do a maf cal with OL fuel trims disabled.

If there are any abnormal variances in actual AFR, I'll do what I can to the maf curve to meet targets.

If it gets to a point where corrections cause the maf curve to become un-smooth, and still not meet AFR targets, then I suppose I could multiply the values in the VE Table in that specific load/rpm region with the same maf cal multiplier and see if it increases or decreases fueling.

Ideally I'd like to only need to make changes to the maf curve and not have to touch the VE tables at all, but it's pretty much pure experimentation at this point lol, and I stored the car for winter, so I gotta wait until spring.
 Old 12-03-2017, 10:35 PM   #5

Fstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the worldFstrnyou is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

I'm not entirely sure if messing with the VE table is even necessary. The MAF tells the ECU how much fuel to put in. Whether 50% VE or 100% VE, X amount of air gets Y amount of fuel. If you've increased the flow of the intake or exhaust manifold and/or the head with porting, the MAF will see that increase and input the appropriate amount of fuel.

With a MAF, are VE tables even necessary? Perhaps the VE tables are an emergency backup for when the MAF fails? Like a limp mode lookup table.

I really hope someone who knows will chime in before we get too far out of whack.
Other rides:
History:
2008 GSX-R 1000 - Stolen (With several runs past 180, I'd probably be dead by now if it wasn't stolen. So, in a way, I'm thankful.)
1988 RX-7 TII - Sold (Megasquirt, streetport, filter-on-turbo SRI, custom TBE, 20psi boost creep on OE turbo, OE TMIC on ice, 13.467 @ 105.44) apex seals said buh bye!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fstrnyou For This Useful Post:
BuddySpeed3 (12-05-2017), DingoDave (12-05-2017)
 Old 12-04-2017, 12:02 AM   #6

mituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the world
Thanked 2,031 Times in 1,167 Posts
Groans: 101
Groaned at 15 Times in 12 Posts
Not Ranked  0 score     

The volumetric efficiency has to do with the way the air enters the engine and not with the MAF calibration.

So changing any of the manifolds does not require any VE tables changes, however changing the cams does.
Bilstein B12 + CS Camber plates + Eibach camber arms, SSR Type-F, Michelin PSS 225/40/R18, Cobb RMM, StopTech Street Pads + Stoptech Slotted disks, SouthBend ENduro Stage3 clutch, genpu TMM + CS Insert, TheSpeedLine 2X Rear Cross Floor and Rear Middle Lower Strut bars, Tanabe 4 Point Under Brace, Whiteline Bumpsteeer corection kit
JBR Tru-3" + CS CAI Box, SU TMIC, Cobb XLE, NGK LTR7IX, UR v3 catted DP and res TP, Cobb CatBack, GS EBCS, Autotech internals, GTX3071, CS 3.5BAR, Guardian Angel, CoolingMist WMI
SP63 87.5mm 4032 9.5:1 pistons, Manley rods, CA625+ head studs, Clevite AL main bearings, King rod bearings, CP-e safe seals, DCR VVT, Koyorad radiator.
StratiVersaTuned FTW
mituc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mituc For This Useful Post:
BuddySpeed3 (12-05-2017)
 Old 12-04-2017, 05:16 AM   #7

Not Ranked  0 score     

Googled and skimmed a few tuning threads. It seems my original thought is more correct. If your MAFCAL is good, use fuel trims to adjust VE.
Other rides:
History:
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fstrnyou For This Useful Post:
BuddySpeed3 (12-04-2017), DingoDave (12-05-2017)
 Old 12-04-2017, 05:33 AM   #8

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Googled and skimmed a few tuning threads. It seems my original thought is more correct. If your MAFCAL is good, use fuel trims to adjust VE.
Awesome, I'll give it a try if a maf cal doesn't work. Thanks!
 Old 12-05-2017, 06:40 AM   #9

mituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the worldmituc is the leader of the world
Not Ranked  0 score     

According to this logic, deleting the VCTS requires the same approach, because at least in the low coolant temp/low load/low rpm the speed of the air entering the ports differs.

But again, because the volumetric efficiency refers to the amount of air that makes its way into the cylinders messing with the VE tables is not required.
Bilstein B12 + CS Camber plates + Eibach camber arms, SSR Type-F, Michelin PSS 225/40/R18, Cobb RMM, StopTech Street Pads + Stoptech Slotted disks, SouthBend ENduro Stage3 clutch, genpu TMM + CS Insert, TheSpeedLine 2X Rear Cross Floor and Rear Middle Lower Strut bars, Tanabe 4 Point Under Brace, Whiteline Bumpsteeer corection kit
JBR Tru-3" + CS CAI Box, SU TMIC, Cobb XLE, NGK LTR7IX, UR v3 catted DP and res TP, Cobb CatBack, GS EBCS, Autotech internals, GTX3071, CS 3.5BAR, Guardian Angel, CoolingMist WMI
SP63 87.5mm 4032 9.5:1 pistons, Manley rods, CA625+ head studs, Clevite AL main bearings, King rod bearings, CP-e safe seals, DCR VVT, Koyorad radiator.
StratiVersaTuned FTW
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mituc For This Useful Post:
BuddySpeed3 (12-05-2017), DingoDave (12-05-2017)
 Old 12-05-2017, 08:28 AM   #10

Not Ranked  0 score     

The MAF is always "on" and, if it's calibrated properly, no amount of mods at the engine should affect the way it measures the air. Changes to the airflow pattern immediately before, after, and/or at the MAF sensor would be the only reason to do a new MAFCAL.

With a good MAFCAL, any mod that changes your fuel trims means the VE table needs to be messaged a little.
Other rides:
History:

Last edited by Fstrnyou; 12-05-2017 at 08:41 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fstrnyou For This Useful Post:
BuddySpeed3 (12-05-2017)
 Old 12-05-2017, 09:20 AM   #11

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by mituc View Post
According to this logic, deleting the VCTS requires the same approach, because at least in the low coolant temp/low load/low rpm the speed of the air entering the ports differs.

But again, because the volumetric efficiency refers to the amount of air that makes its way into the cylinders messing with the VE tables is not required.
The MAF is always "on" and, if it's calibrated properly, no amount of mods at the engine should affect the way it measures the air. Changes to the airflow pattern immediately before, after, and/or at the MAF sensor would be the only reason to do a new MAFCAL.

With a good MAFCAL, any mod that changes your fuel trims means the VE table needs to be messaged a little.
Ok so this is going to take some testing once the manifolds get installed It makes sense that the maf sensor determines how much fuel is required. But, if there are lean spots during a pull that are difficult to cure with corrections to the maf curve, I have a feeling making adjustments to the VE table values in that load/rpm region will help. This is just speculation though.
 Old 12-05-2017, 05:09 PM   #12

Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by BuddySpeed3 View Post
But, if there are lean spots during a pull that are difficult to cure with corrections to the maf curve, I have a feeling making adjustments to the VE table values in that load/rpm region will help. This is just speculation though.
Post a log. And yes, this is just a speculation and those lean spots are caused by something else.
StratiVersaTuned FTW
 Old 12-06-2017, 05:13 PM   #13

(Thread Starter)
Not Ranked  0 score     

Originally Posted by mituc View Post
Post a log. And yes, this is just a speculation and those lean spots are caused by something else.
Ok thanks man! I'll post some logs come spring time when I put the car back on the road.